London and South East Coast (UK)
The London and South East Coast Members Group serves most of Greater London (excluding some of the suburbs in the SW quadrant) and areas to the immediate east - south Essex, Kent and parts of East Sussex.
The area includes the following postcodes:
- Central — EC, WC, E, SE, SW, W, NW, N
- Suburbs — DA, BR, HA, UB, WD, EN, IG, RM
- Southern Essex — SS, CM
- Kent & East Sussex — ME, CT, TN
We are the largest Member Group in IChemE, with around 3,000 members. As of July 2020, this is about 8.3% of the world-wide membership.
Our area includes seven universities running courses connected with chemical engineering - the well-established courses at Imperial College, University College London and London South Bank University, plus the new courses at Queen Mary University of London, University of Greenwich, Canterbury Christ Church University and Brunel University.
- Support our members by providing formal and informal learning networking opportunities to support the career development of students, graduates and professionals across both industry and academia
- Support students and graduates through early careers groups like Young Members Group
- Work closely with other institutions, universities and networks in the area to encourage debate and promote the application of science and engineering in global issues
- Actively promote chemical engineering and closely related subjects in local schools
- Develop a professional network of engineers and scientists in London and along the South East coast
The benefits of participating in the group's activities include:
- contributing within a vibrant community of chemical, biochemical and process engineering professionals
- gaining greater awareness of the various industries represented within our group including a variety of flagship/innovative industries represented in the South East region
- getting involved with topical current issues within the chemical engineering field
- broadening personal contacts and networking within our member base
- as a group committee member you can participate in the running of the local group, including planning the range of activities and seminars that we offer
- continual professional development through technical, professional and facilitating mentoring arrangements
- liaising with universities and provide support to research groups and undergraduates through career job search workshops or specific seminars and competitions linked with their design and research projects
- encouraging future engineers by engaging with local schools.
We would love to hear from you if you are active in our local area and have an interest in some aspect of chemical engineering.
Do you have a process unit, control room, test rig or development lab that is worthy of wider attention? If so, I'm sure we would be keen to share your pride.
Currently between projects or recently retired? We can help keep you busy.
Wondering how to build you professional network in a big new city? Maybe we can point you in the right direction.
Perhaps you have an urge to help with our outreach and D&I activities? We can certainly help you make the right contacts.
All it takes to get started is an e-mail, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can forward your email to the London and South East Coast Members Group
Essex Chemistry at Work - Appeal for helpers
Essex Chemistry at Work is a successful careers event aimed at students 14-17 years old. The event is supported by the IChemE, the RSC and the local STEMNET. The organisers are looking for extra h...