Palm Oil Processing
POPSIG Student Research Project Bursary 2021
23rd September 2021
On behalf of the Palm Oil Processing Special Interest Group committee, Professor Ir Dr Chong Mei Fong, Chair, announced that the recipients for POPSIG Student Research Project Bursary in 2021, sponsored by Desmet Ballestra (M) Sdn. Bhd. and Malaysian Oleochemical Manufacturers Group (MOMG), were the following candidates.
Brenda Lim Ai-Lian, Universiti Tunku Abdul Rahman
- Course: Master of Engineering Science, Department of Chemical Engineering, Lee Kong Chian Faculty of Engineering and Science
- Research project title: Synthesis of carbon nanoparticles from oil palm empty fruit bunch as electro-catalyst for energy storage.
- Supervisor: Dr Steven Lim (UTAR)
- Co-supervisors: Dr Pang Yean Ling (UTAR), Dr Shuit Siew Hoong (UTAR)
Jocelyn Lim Jean Yi, Xiamen University Malaysia
- Course: Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering with Honors, School of Energy and Chemical Engineering
- Research project title: Palm oil mill effluent (POME) waste treatment using TiO2/Ti3C2Tx MXene composite aerogel via photocatalytic degradation process.
- Supervisor: Dr Andrew Ng Kay Lup (XMUM)
- Research collaborator: Professor Ir Dr Mohd Azlan bin Hussain (UM)
Jonathan Cheng Lin Yang, Swinburne University of Technology Sarawak
- Course: Master of Engineering (by Research), Faculty of Engineering, Computing and Science
- Research project title: Thermogravimetric analysis and combined kinetic study on the pyrolysis of empty fruit bunches lignin extracted using sucrose-malic acid-water low transition temperature mixture.
- Supervisor: Dr Elaine Yeu Yee Lee (SUTS)
- Industrial supervisor: Errol Elton anak Sumar (Sar-Alam Indah Sdn. Bhd.)
Melvin Wee Xin Jie, Curtin University Malaysia
- Course: Doctor of Philosophy (by Research), Department of Chemical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering and Science
- Research title: Kinetic and thermodynamic analyses for the conversion of co-pyrolysis of palm oil wastes and COVID-19 surgical waste to biofuel production.
- Supervisor: Associate Professor Dr Agus Saptoro (Curtin Malaysia)
- Co-supervisor: Dr Bridgid Chin Lai Fui (Curtin Malaysia)
- Associate supervisor: Associate Professor Dr Jaka Sunarso (SUTS), Professor Ir Dr Suzana Yusup (UTP), Dr Chew Jiuan Jing (SUTS)
The successful candidates must:
- Present their research findings in a POPSIG evening talk/webinar within two months after the completion of the project
- Contribute a POPSIG newsletter article about the funded project within two months after the completion of the project
- Acknowledge POPSIG Student Research Project Bursary in all presentations and publications (internal and external) related to the funded project. This includes, but is not limited to, websites, books, academic papers, oral presentations/speeches and press coverage.
If the successful candidates have any concerns and queries, please email to email@example.com.
The IChemE POPSIG committee would like to congratulate the successful candidates, and we look forward to their lectures.
Back to group news