Associate Member

Associate Member

The Associate Member grade is for those with degree-level knowledge and understanding of chemical engineering and who are working toward professional qualification with IChemE.

Associate Members get access to all membership resources plus:

  • AMIChemE post nominal letters
  • a platform to work towards Chartered Member (MIChemE) and registration as a Chartered Engineer (CEng) with the Engineering Council
  • an Associate Member certificate.


To become an Associate Member you should have either:

  • a chemical engineering degree accredited at B-Standard (bachelor’s level) or above by IChemE, or
  • a bachelor’s level chemical engineering degree recognised under ENGINEERS EUROPE or the Washington Accord or Sydney Accord, or
  • any other qualifications (chemical engineering or another subject) plus further learning and/or technical experience, assessed through Individual Case Procedure (ICP) to B-Standard or above.

If you are a recent graduate whose first degree is in another subject or at another level, you can apply to have your qualification and/or technical experience assessed via the Individual Case Procedure (ICP).

Should you require your qualifications to be assessed, you need to apply for Affiliate membership and then make an application for ICP.

Once your qualifications have been assessed as meeting the requirements for Associate membership, you will be able to transfer.

Check your qualifications

You can check to see if your qualification has been accredited by IChemE using the Engineering Council's Accredited Course Search. For assistance in navigating the search function, please view our guidance video.

If your qualification does not appear in the database, it may be recognised by the Washington Accord* or Sydney Accord or ENGINEERS EUROPE.

If you would like further guidance on the status of your qualification, please contact

Additional information

  • postgraduate students may be eligible for a discount. Send your university name, course title, start and end dates to to check your eligibility
  • if you have any questions or need further information, please contact

*The Washington Accord is a multi-lateral agreement between bodies responsible for accreditation or recognition of tertiary-level/degree level engineering qualifications within their jurisdictions who have chosen to work collectively to assist the mobility of professional engineers. The Accord outlines the mutual recognition, between the participating bodies, of accredited engineering degree programmes. The signatories can be found here. If you believe that your academic qualification may be accredited and recognised via the Washington Accord we recommend that you check with the accreditation body concerned.