Human Factors in Health and Safety, Module Two: Managing Human Failure
Online | Face-to-Face | In-company
This human factors course explores how to proactively manage human failure, which is crucial to preventing major accidents, occupational accidents and ill health, and improving an organisation's overall performance. The course covers how to proactively manage human error and non-compliance, analyse human failures contributing to incidents, and manage performance under pressure.
This is module two of our Human Factors in the Chemical and Process Industries training programme, which provides practical insight into the key human factors issues facing the industries. You can attend as a one-off course, or alongside our other human factors modules to get a comprehensive overview of the subject.
Reducing human error
- What makes error more likely?
- How can we make people safer?
- Identifying safety critical tasks
- Analysing tasks
- Conducting human reliability analysis
- The significance of non-compliant behaviour in incident causation
- Different types of non-compliance
- Factors that provoke non-compliance
- ABC analysis – a tool to understand decision-making in the context of non-compliant behaviour
- What can be done to reduce the likelihood of non-compliance
Human factors in incident investigation
- Human factors in the investigator (common human failings in investigators; interviewing skills – best practice)
- Human factors in the investigation (key steps; recent best practice guidance; case study)
Managing performance under pressure
- Understanding stress and its consequences
- Causes of stress: chronic and acute
- Managing pressure at work
- Improving resilience
- Understand how to reduce human error
- Understand how to manage violations
- Understand how human failures contribute to incidents
- Understand how to manage performance under pressure
Who will benefit?
- HSE managers and advisors
- Operations managers
- Safety engineers
- Chemical/process engineers
- In-house human factors advisors eg COMAH operators' 'intelligent customers'
Previous delegates said
Previous delegates said this course would help them to:
- manage human errors and violations more effectively
- apply the practical techniques learnt to their role straightaway
- reinforce their behaviours when managing human factors
- use the techniques learnt in staff appraisals and incident investigations
- ask informed questions and identify when further expertise is necessary
- compare current practices with good practice
- better understand human behaviours
- mange the effects of stress (on both individuals and the team) more effectively
- introduce new tools and techniques to their organisation
Online courses consist of four live and interactive modules with the trainers on the dates indicated together with pre-course reading and pre-recorded video content for independent study alongside the live sessions.
From 19 June 2023 (choice of sessions)
- Module 1 – 19 June 2023, 09:00–11:00 or 12:00–14:00 BST
- Module 2 – 20 June 2023, 09:00–11:00 or 12:00–14:00 BST
- Module 3 – 21 June 2023, 09:00–11:00 or 12:00–14:00 BST
- Module 4 – 22 June 2023, 09:00–11:00 or 12:00–14:00 BST
Live sessions are delivered via Microsoft Teams. If you don't already have this installed, you can join as a guest in order to access the training.
- 7–8 June 2023, Edinburgh, UK
Pre-course reading is issued beforehand as preparation for the course.
Not available then?
Register your interest in alternative dates.
How to register
Select your preferred course from the list of upcoming start dates and go to the 'Book course' button at the bottom of this page.
More human factors training
- Module One – Managing Human Factors
- Module Three – Strengthening Organisational Performance
- Module Four – Human Factors in Design
You can attend single modules or all four depending on your training needs. Modules can be completed in any order.
Learn more about the Human Factors in the Chemical and Process Industries programme.
Book all four Human Factors in Health in the Chemical and Process Industries modules together and get a discount.
Our human factors training can be delivered to corporate teams, either on-site or online. This could be a cost-effective option if you have several people requiring the training. Content can be tailored to your specific requirements. Request a quotation.
An e-certificate will be issued at the end of the course to confirm attendance and CPD hours logged. Please note that you must attend the whole course to receive the certificate.
In the case of online courses, CPD hours should be used as an approximate guide and will vary depending on the preferred approach of the delegate and to what extent additional learning is completed.
In partnership with:
Incident Investigation, Human Failure & Cause Tree Analysis
Improve your process incident investigation skills.