What Engineers Need to Know about Contracts
Online | In-company
This course will provide you with a grounding in contract law for engineering and construction contracts, and help you understand how it is used to help deliver successful projects and supplier relationships.
Engineers need to understand the basis and practicalities of contract law in order to deliver successful projects and supplier relationships. Failure to understand the basics can prove very expensive. If you are dealing with suppliers and managing contracts on a regular basis, it is important for you to be able to make informed decisions without waiting to consult with legal specialists.
By the end of course, you will understand:
- the role and purpose of contracts for engineering
- the role of engineers in contract formation and management
- how contracts are formed and ended
- the terms and conditions and obligations placed on each party to the contract
- how risk is allocated in different types of contract
- processes for dispute and conflict resolution.
Who will benefit
- Project managers
- Contract managers
- Contract administrators
- Consulting engineers
- Quantity surveyors
- Sales and purchasing managers/personnel
- General managers
- Graduate engineers
- Introduction to contracts – how and why they are formed
- Common pitfalls – verbal contracts, modified contracts, battle of the forms
- Key terms and conditions in contracts, express and implied terms of contracts
- Warranties, guarantees, IPR and damages
- Standard and specialist forms of contract
- Discharge of contract, breaches and damages
- The role of the engineer and project manager
- Contract management and variation
- Contracts, the law and ethics
Online courses consist of three live and interactive modules with the trainer on the dates indicated.
From 14 June 2023
- Module 1 – 14 June 2023, 14:00–17:00 BST
- Module 2 – 15 June 2023, 14:00–17:00 BST
- Module 3 – 16 June 2023, 14:00–17:00 BST
Live sessions are delivered via Microsoft Teams. If you don't already have this installed, you can join as a guest in order to access the training.
No scheduled dates.
Not available then?
Register your interest in alternative dates.
How to register
Select your preferred course from the list of upcoming start dates and go to the 'Book course' button at the bottom of this page.
More than one person to train?
Discounts are available to companies booking more than one place. Bookings must be made at the same time to receive the discount.
- 2 places – 10% discount
- 3 places –15% discount
- 4 or more places – 20% discount
This course can be delivered to corporate teams, either on-site or online. This could be a cost-effective option if you have several people requiring the training. Content can be tailored to your specific requirements. Request a quotation.
An e-certificate will be issued at the end of the course to confirm attendance and CPD hours logged. Please note that you must attend all modules to receive the certificate.
CPD hours should be used as an approximate guide and will vary depending on the preferred approach of the delegate and to what extent additional learning is completed.
IChemE Forms of Contract
Learn about the IChemE Forms of Contract and how to apply them to your projects.