Live online course – from 23 February 2023, 14:00–17:00 GMT.
Alternative dates – from 6 June 2023, 08:00–11:00 AWST/MYT.
Also offered face-to-face.
This course is designed to help those experienced in the HAZOP technique to understand best practice in HAZOP leadership and management.
You will learn how to apply the HAZOP technique, and how to plan and manage study programmes effectively. You will also learn how to lead study teams effectively to ensure successful project execution. Case studies will allow you to undertake a range of project team roles and provide the opportunity to guide a virtual team through the HAZOP process.
Teaching will be delivered via four live sessions (approximately three hours in length each) and pre-recorded video content for independent study.
An e-certificate will be issued to participants who attend all modules and pass an end-of-course assessment. Please note that certification does not act as IChemE HAZOP leader accreditation/endorsement.
By the end of this course you will understand how to:
- prepare for a HAZOP study meeting and programme – including defining the scope of the study and choosing the team
- choose nodes (parts of the drawings or operation for HAZOP study)
- estimate the programme requirements for the successful completion of a study
- use facilitation techniques to motivate the team and keep them on task
- avoid common problems encountered during study meetings, including challenging behaviours
- formulate the HAZOP study report
- understand the team leader’s role in the implementation of recommendations and the management of the process.
Who will benefit
This course is for individuals experienced in the HAZOP technique who are required to lead HAZOP studies. It will also benefit process safety engineers, loss prevention specialists, production engineers, process design engineers, project engineers, process programmers and instrument control engineers.
- Planning a HAZOP programme
- Node identification and time estimation
- Preparation of the event
- Recording style, skills and development of recommendations
- HAZOP meeting facilitation
- Team dynamics
- Leadership through the study
- Development of the final report and action management
Previous delegates said
"The course is well balanced between awareness of HAZOP procedure knowledge and its application in real-life situations."
A Adewole, ICoNiChem, UK
"Excellent trainer, he has great practical experience and knowledge. The pre-recorded sessions were a great idea and were very useful."
S Gurav, Shell Petroleum, Brunei
"A very interactive course with very good material, very well presented."
L Gasimova, Wood, UK
"I found it very interesting to learn more about how you can lead / ask questions and comments within a HAZOP to promote a positive and constructive response."
J Hill, Pfizer, UK
"The best thing about the course was the real-life examples which highlighted the result of process failures."
M Kent, Prochem Engineering, Ireland
"The course reflected industry approaches to HAZOP and was very up to date in the guidance given and recommendations made."
D Lyons, PFGi, Ireland
Thursday 23 February 2023, 14:00–17:00 GMT.
Monday 27 February 2023, 14:00–17:00 GMT.
Thursday 2 March 2023, 14:00–17:00 GMT.
Monday 6 March 2023, 14:00–17:00 GMT.
Pre-recorded video content will be provided for independent study before/between modules.
Not available then? Register your interest in future dates.
- IChemE Member: £1520 + VAT
- Non-member: £1900 + VAT
Discounts are available to companies booking more than one place:
- 2 places–10% discount
- 3 places–15% discount
- 4 or more places–20% discount.
Bookings must be made at the same time to receive the discount.
Modules will be delivered via Microsoft Teams. If you don't already have this installed, you can join as a guest in order to access the training. We'll share information about how to do this after you've registered.
Train your team
This course can be delivered to corporate teams, either on-site or online. Content can be tailored to your specific requirements, and this could be a cost-effective option if you have several people requiring the training. To find out more and request a quotation, visit our in-company training page.
* CPD hours should be used as an approximate guide and will vary depending on the preferred approach of the delegate and to what extent additional learning is completed.