Palm Oil Processing
POPSIG Research Project Bursary
Update: The deadline of the application for the 2023 award is on 31 August 2023. (Rev: 20 March 2023)
IChemE Palm Oil Processing Special Interest Group (POPSIG) is constantly committed to promoting palm oil-related researches among undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. POPSIG Research Project Bursary offers up to a maximum of RM5,000 per project to students undertaking 6-month original research related to the palm oil sector, included but not limited to the following themes:
- responsible production in palm oil-related sectors (sustainability, climate change, environmental protection)
- risk management within palm oil-related sectors
- digitalisation of palm oil-related processing.
Projects can be stand-alone or can complement existing work. Applicant must declare any financial support for the project received from other sources.
The deadline of the submission is by 23:59 on 31 August every year. Please submit the two required documents to firstname.lastname@example.org. The outcome will be announced to the successful candidate via email within two months from the closing date of application.
- Applicant must be students registered with a Higher Education Institution
- Applicants must be undertaking original research
- Both undergraduate and postgraduate students are eligible to apply
Duration of project
Maximum of six months from the bursary award date.
An external panel of expert reviewers will assess the applications. Reviewers are asked to pay particular attention to the following aspects (in the PDF below) of an application when undertaking their review.
Applications with the two required documents below should be submitted by email to the email@example.com by 23:59 on the deadline date stated above using the application form provided. Please put the subject of email as "POPSIG Research Project Bursary".
1. Application form
- Download the MS Word application form (rev 2023-01).
- Check the details of the requirements in the PDF (rev 2023-01).
- Submit either MS Word or PDF, and include a one-page summary CV and a copy of latest academic transcript as the Appendices.
2. Referee statements
References form a critical part of the judging process. Two referee statements are required and one must be from your undergraduate/postgraduate supervisor. The referee statement (maximum one-page each) must be submitted directly by the referee to firstname.lastname@example.org before the deadline date. Note that the applications will not be processed without the receipt of referee statements.
As part of receiving the bursary, the successful recipients have to:
- Present findings in a POPSIG evening talk/webinar at the end of the awarded period, as scheduled by POPSIG.
- Contribute a POPSIG newsletter article on the funded work within eight (8) months from the award date.
- The research finding must be documented and submitted to an online journal, for example, Journal of Oil Palm, Environment & Health, within ten (10) months from the award date.
- Acknowledge POPSIG Research Project Bursary and Malaysian Palm Oil Council (MPOC)/Desmet Malaysia Sdn Bhd in all presentations and publications (internal and external) related to the funded work. This includes, but is not limited to, websites, books, academic papers, oral presentations/speeches and press coverage.
Malaysian Palm Oil Council (MPOC) and Desmet Malaysia Sdn Bhd.
Your information will be treated in the strictest confidence and will only be used in connection with your application. Your data will not be shared with any third parties. If successful, information about your project, including names of participants and affiliated organisations, will be published on our website and may be used to promote POPSIG’s grants programme.
Please email your query to email@example.com.