Palm Oil Processing
POPSIG Student Research Project Bursary
Update: The application for the 2022 award is closed. The application for the 2023 award will open in January 2023. (Rev: 15 August 2022)
IChemE Palm Oil Processing Special Interest Group (POPSIG) is constantly committed to promoting palm oil-related researches among undergraduate and postgraduate degrees. POPSIG Student Research Project Bursary offers up to a maximum of RM3,000 per project to students undertaking 6-month original research related to the palm oil sector, included but not limited to the following themes:
- responsible production in palm oil-related sectors (sustainability, climate change, environmental protection)
- risk management within palm oil-related sectors
- digitalisation of palm oil-related processing.
Projects can be stand-alone or can complement existing work. Applicant must declare any financial support for the project received from other sources.
View poster (2022-version-2) >>
The deadline of the submission is by 23:59 on 15 August every year. Please submit the two required documents to firstname.lastname@example.org. The outcome will be announced to the successful candidate via email within two months from the closing date of application.
- All grants are awarded at the discretion of POPSIG. Each applicant can only submit one entry per application round.
- The awarded fund will be transferred to a recognised Research Management Centre (RMC) account of the awarded institution. Applicants are advised to inform their respective RMCs of their intention to apply for this bursary. This is to ensure that sufficient time is available for the respective RMCs to prepare an account if the bursary is awarded.
- All funds awarded must be used for the purposes set out in the application submitted for the award. These purposes include travel, maintenance, material and supplies, professional services and data collection/procurement. Wages of the principal investigator or costs to buy-out staff time will not be funded.
- Grants are not transferrable to individuals or organisations and must be spent within 6 months from the bursary award date.
- POPSIG reserves the right to withdraw, amend or otherwise modify support at any time without notice.
- Any terms and conditions or codes of conduct for third party organisations relevant to a grant must be adhered to.
- If funding is sought for a larger project component, the sub-project should be free-standing with its own objectives.
- Suppose the applicant has secured funding from other sources for the same project. In that case, a detail of such funding must be clearly presented in the application form (e.g., budget, duration, funding body, etc.) .
- Award will be assigned based on the merits and quality of the submission and shall be at the sole discretion of POPSIG.
- POPSIG reserves the right to vary the proposed project budget applied.
- Applicant must be students registered with a Higher Education Institution
- Applicants must be undertaking original research
- Both undergraduate and postgraduate students are eligible to apply
Duration of project
Maximum of six months from the bursary award date.
Applications with the two required documents below should be submitted by email to the email@example.com by 23:59 on the deadline date stated above using the application form provided. Please put the subject of email as "POPSIG Student Research Project Bursary".
1. Application form
Download the MS Word application form (rev 01 December 2021).
Check the details of the requirements in the PDF (rev 06 December 2021).
Submit either MS Word or PDF, and include a one-page summary CV and a copy of latest academic transcript as the Appendices.
2. Referee statements
References form a critical part of the judging process. Two referee statements are required and one must be from your undergraduate/postgraduate supervisor. The referee statement (maximum one-page each) must be submitted directly by the referee to firstname.lastname@example.org before the deadline date. Note that the applications will not be processed without the receipt of referee statements.
An external panel of expert reviewers will assess the applications. Reviewers are asked to pay particular attention to the following aspects of an application when undertaking their review:
- The project’s contribution to the advancement of the palm oil sector.
- The degree to which the project is innovative and original.
- The feasibility of the project within the time frame and the method used is appropriate and comprehensively demonstrated.
- Evidence of sufficient planning in terms of health and safety, ethical clearance and permissions.
- Awareness showed on the relevant environmental, social and cultural responsibilities and impacts of the project.
- Justification of resources and the degree to which the budget is reasonable, appropriate and sufficiently detailed.
- The committee's decision is final, and the committee reserves the right not to award the bursary if no suitable entry was identified.
As part of receiving the bursary, the successful recipients have to:
- Present findings in a POPSIG evening talk/webinar at the end of the awarded period, as scheduled by POPSIG.
- Contribute a POPSIG newsletter article on the funded work within eight (8) months from the award date.
- The research finding must be documented and submitted to MPOC’s online journal, Journal of Oil Palm, Environment & Health, within ten (10) months from the award date.
- Acknowledge POPSIG Student Research Project Bursary and Malaysian Palm Oil Council (MPOC) in all presentations and publications (internal and external) related to the funded work. This includes, but is not limited to, websites, books, academic papers, oral presentations/speeches and press coverage.
Your information will be treated in the strictest confidence and will only be used in connection with your application. Your data will not be shared with any third parties. If successful, information about your project, including names of participants and affiliated organisations, will be published on our website and may be used to promote POPSIG’s grants programme.
Please email your query to email@example.com.